Our first batch of chicks have been outside for a few weeks, they are getting big and looking like small hens. We have had our second batch of chicks outside in the chicken coop several times…they seem a bit intimidated by all the other chickens. Hopefully, we will all learn to play nicely together!
Gwen…our survivor chicken from the coyote incident back in December had developed a blister on her foot. After doing some internet research we decided it was bumble foot…which required surgery! We followed the directions we found online and Ryan took care of it with several of us as assistants. We had her isolated in the brooder in the garage for a week to as not to spread infection to the other chickens. She is back in the chicken coop and seems to be doing well.
Our established grape plants have starting growing new leaves. My peas, radishes, and beets are growing nicely that I planted back in April. Ryan got some corn planted last weekend. Logan helped me plant some more peas, as well as some squash, eggplant, cantaloupe, watermelon, and cucumbers.
I started to keep a garden journal last summer as a way to keep track of where I planted certain things. I have it going again this year. I want to keep better track of when I plant things to refer to in the future. I’m looking forward to filling in my empty spaces.